[pct-l] 2017 Thru-Hike Attempter New to PCT-L

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 18:52:50 CST 2017

Hi Don,

Yeah we're all out here and welcome!  It's a great community this bunch of
trail lovers.  And you're right, it's quite a snow year, maybe one for the
records.  But don't be dismayed, lots of us have hiked weeks and weeks over
the snowy High Sierra and not only lived to tell about it, but found it to
be the hardest, most fun and all around best backpacking experience of our
lives.  it was wonderful.   The folks I hiked with are still dear friends.
There's nothing like the Sierra draped in white.  Absolutely stunning.

Now, I'm not sure if you have any experience in snow of this kind, it was
mostly snow for 5 weeks for us in 2010, but if you check back at the
discussions that have been flying on this list and on the Facebook pages
over the past few weeks, you can learn a lot.  There are snow courses you
can take, and an active member of this list and the FB pages is Ned
Tibbets, who runs "MountainEducation"  http://mountaineducation.org  He's a
great guy with lots of snow experience and a good teacher.

If you don't need any training, then just welcome to the thru hiking
community!

Shroomer