[pct-l] Hitching

timpnye timpnye at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 09:42:40 CDT 2017

The amount of entitlement on display on this forum is amazing to me. Yes, there are closures every almost every year, but alternatives detours are available, but official and unofficial.
The analogy to me as a veteran is stolen valor. Those individuals who, whether they served or not, appropriate for themselves an accomplishment they wish they had attained and by which they define themselves or by which seek to attain the regard of others. Military service is self defined; military decorations are awarded for achievements the accomplishment of which are recognized by their fellows not by their own self regard.
This is not an accomplishment that is self defined. If I plan to hike the PACT, but a personal tragedy intervenes, do I get to claim a medal? Or, alternatively, if I skip the Sierra from Kennedy Meadows to Old Station do I get to claim a meadow? I mean, those mountains look steep! Does Cheryl Strayed get a medal for her thousand miles? Where is the dividing line? This is a reflection of the need for the rule of law for something whose standard is set by those awarding and recognizing the achievement
I recognize the irony that the medal was founded and paid for by Eric Ryback whose own hike was the subject of much controversy.
-------- Original message --------From: Rich Steward <richsteward24 at gmail.com> Date: 6/11/17  9:24 PM  (GMT-08:00) To: Jim Banks <JimLBanks at verizon.net> Cc: "pct-l @backcountry.net" <pct-l at backcountry.net> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Hitching
I wonder how many people in the past decade have actually hiked the PCT
from end to end.  Perhaps no one.  How long has the endangered species
closure been in effect? Haven't there been fire closures every year, some
closing the trail for multiple years?  In years with lots of snow, aren't
people wandering all over the place, heading in the general direction of
the PCT, but not even close to it?  What about the re-routes off the PCT
around significant blowdowns?  What about the more desirable alternates,
like Eagle Creek, or Crater Lake?  If you take one of those, are you
disqualified from being a thru-hiker?  It seems to me it's nearly
impossible, probably illegal, and possibly undesirable to hike every mile
of the 2650 mile PCT.  So why have such a rigid definition of a thru-hike?

If you want a continuous footpath from Mexico to Canada, walk Interstate 5.

Let people decide whether they feel they qualify as a thru-hiker, based on
the conditions they faced that year.  No one should be judging them.

Proton '16