[pct-l] Hitching

marmot marmot marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 8 13:17:36 CDT 2017

I would have never thought that it would have become normalized that hitching part of the trail was "hiking the PCT". The task is not that complicated (difficult and long and arduous) but clear. A continuous footpath along the PCT with reasonable alternatives. The conversations on line talk about huge numbers of hikers hitching when they are bored,hot tired.
I certainly hope that these hikers don't diminish the finishing PCT metal by applying for one.
Definitely "hike your own hike" but that does not include a lie or taking credit for something not done.
Maybe you can practice saying "I hiked part or most of the PCT". That has enormous value and is impressive and also the truth. That to me is something of which to to be proud.
And please don't ever apply for a Triple Crown---given out on the honor system ---if you have skipped or hitched parts of the trails. I know of many hikers who had to skip parts of the trails due to injury or personal reasons who went back and did those skipped sections.
The trails have been on roads in the past and sometimes return to them due to snow,fire,avalanche,
poodle dog bush grizzle bear etc etc. Sometimes due to injury the only way to stay on the trail is to find an alternative route on roads. That can mean limping and healing all at the same time. What ever the yearly problem is. Then the road becomes the trail. The road through Agua Dulce is the trail. It's part of the experience.
The walk along the aqueduct is the trail. Yes it's hot ---that is part of the trail. Do you really think that Ravensong('76)Jean Ella('76) Lynn ('76)or the those amazing guys from '77 or Martin Papendick('52) Eric Ryback('70)
hitched because they were bored, lonely or wanted to get to the party being thrown by a trail angel.
Don't put an asterisk on your hike unless,of course, you want one. Then ,by all means make your own choices and be honest about it. Doing as much as you can has its own value and its own lessons.
Not everyone will finish the trail. The first time I did the PCT ,I believe ,75  started. We think that 25 finished the complete trail. That rate of completion has stayed pretty standard except in high snow years. If I had done the trail in '93 or '95 I most likely would not have finished. I didn't have the snow skills.  I would have just had to hurt about it and come back and try again. Quit my job,come down from Canada and start over again.  I was just lucky to choose '94. PCT has always had higher completion rates than the AT or CDT.
We now have a net work of people who help the hikers. It means that people who never dreamed they could hike the PCT will go out there and try it. That's fantastic. Many of those people will hike large sections.
 Strider used to give a speech at the KO taking about valuing just the attempt to do the trail. I know that all of us who have done the trail (all or parts of it)cheer you all on. And we share your tears when you fall short of what you imagined you wanted to do. I have a trail that I was rescued from that will always remain unfinished. That's on purpose. It means something of value to me to leave it that way. I hiked parts of the OCT because my hiking partner refused to hike a few of the road walks. Because I wanted to stay together I chose to live with that feeling that I had not done the whole trail. It felt bad but it is reality. Disappointments can be part of what the trail gives to you. I believe our long trails can be our replacement for what older cultures had in walkabouts or quests. A way of finding out who you are, what you want and how to live a life that you value.
Marmot

Sent from my iPhone