[pct-l] Rain Gear or Plastic Rain coat

Herb Stroh HStroh at sjmslaw.com
Thu Jun 1 11:45:36 CDT 2017

Kevin--

That is the strategy I follow--rain jacket that doubles for warmth.

I went with Luke's Ultralight silpoly ultralight rain shell, at a weight of less than 4 ounces. It is not breathable. However, keep in mind that when it is raining nothing is "breathable." The tech of breathable fabrics is that moisture can be drawn from inside out, but exterior moisture cannot penetrate. That works when there is no exterior moisture, but if it is raining there is nowhere for the inside wetness to go. To me, it was not worth paying the high price of eVent -type materials given I would still wet out from within if wearing during a rainstorm. I bought the rain shell with pit zips to enhance ventilation, and the jacket works well for me. If I am hiking in the rain I vent as much as possible, wear something light underneath, and adjust my pace to minimize sweat. The nice thing about a totally nonbreathable jacket is that it also serves the purpose of a windshirt.

Herb