[pct-l] early season section hiking in Oregon

ambery-80243 at mypacks.net ambery-80243 at mypacks.net
Thu Jun 1 10:37:21 CDT 2017

I'm throwing this out there as a head's up for those who may not be familiar with spring hiking in Oregon.  I work for the Forest Service and have already had conversations with three section hikers who have shown up at Timberline Lodge with full packs on their backs, ready to hike to Cascade Locks.  They all seemed surprised that there is snow here.   On a normal snow year, May is waaaay too early to hike out of Timerline lodge.  This year we are considerably above normal.  After a week of warm weather and a bit of melting, the snow at Timberline is still at 144 inches.  So while Cascade Locks, at an elevation of near sea level, may look trail ready, and a couple areas near Timothy Lake have cleared, it is still not summer in the Cascades.   I merely want to caution hikers to get information and check conditions before taking the time, money and energy to get to the trail and find they are unable to even start their trek.