[pct-l] Calling all Professionals

Rick Hubbard rick at rickhubbard.org
Mon Jul 24 22:39:39 CDT 2017

Hi Woodstock,

I’m a retired attorney, also with an MBA, who was well set to head to a major law firm in the city and chase the “big bucks.”

But, like you, quality of life and balance between work and play was important to me. I well understood that if I headed for a big law firm in the city I would have to sacrifice my quality of life and balance, so I opted to return to my home state of Vermont and opened my own law practice. I achieved the quality and balance, but at the expense of the “big bucks.”  The legal work I did was probably less exciting than what I would have experienced, had I specialized with a big city law firm. The upside is that I’m now 75, still actively backpacking, hiking, bicycling and cross country skiing, and have had great experiences with all of those sports along the way. I’m okay financially in retirement, but at a lower level than I might have expected with a big city law firm.

Another option to consider is to work as an “in house” attorney for a non-profit whose mission you support. That might provide a more reasonable middle ground of interesting work, money and quality of life.

Hope this helps.

Rick a/k/a "Newsman"

Rick Hubbard
12 Woodbine Street
South Burlington, VT 05403
Email: rick at rickhubbard.org <mailto:rick at rickhubbard.org>
Web: www.rickhubbard.org <http://www.rickhubbard.org/>
Cell: 802-999-3905

We citizens largely elect good people to represent us in Washington, who then are incentivized to often act in ways that place their own interests, those of their wealthy and influential backers, and those of their political party above the broad interests of the American people.