[pct-l] Kahtoola Microspikes vs Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultra

Tim Umstead tumstead96 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 12:41:24 CST 2017

Most people I have talked to have used Microspikes.  I was wondering if
anyone has any experience with Trail Crampon Ultra?  The two are very
similar in design and price.  The major design difference being that the
Trail Crampon Ultra has an extra Velcro strap across the top f the foot.

For size 11.5 trail runners the Microspikes weigh 13.1 oz and Trail Crampon
Ultra weight 14.9 oz so Microspikes are almost 2 oz lighter.

As for the spikes Microspikes have twelve 3/8" spikes were as the Trail
Crampon Ultra have eighteen raging from 2/5" to 1/2".   The longer ones at
the back.

All and all the two systems are very similar.  What I want to know is:

How well do they work while backpacking?

Which is more durable?

Does one clog more then that other?

The Ravens
PCT '96, '15