[pct-l] hanging food

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Thu Jan 26 10:05:40 CST 2017

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 8:55 AM, Megan Leedom <mkleedom at gmail.com> wrote:
> but was curious if any of you found it necessary to hang your food at any point.

Like carrying basic medical supplies, it's not necessary at all (until
it is). If you hang your food in the worst case you've wasted a few
minutes at the end of the day hanging it, in the best case you've
saved your food supply from being raided by critters.

> I'm trying to decide if I should pack some rope and learn proper hanging techniques before I go.

Short answer: Yes. Even if you decide not to hang food, rope is just
generally useful. If you ever run into a tight spot — slipped into a
gully, can't cross a flooded stream safely, injur your leg and need to
bind it up, or just want somewhere to string wet cloths up to dry —
you'll want it.

—Sam