[pct-l] Section Hike

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Jan 23 23:46:05 CST 2017

Creek crossings vs. Steep snow crossings, which is worse?

Both can be nasty for your health.

The dangerous creeks are those with deep channels, rough creek bottoms, and fast flows. A slip and fall in one of these could be very dangerous, so the key is crossing selection location and skills. Time of day can have an effect on creek volume, but it depends on the intensity of the thaw and your timing in it. Will you die trying? Most likely not, but it can and has happened. You can minimize the danger by practicing the STOP acronym (mentioned in another of my posts this evening) and having the skills to cross this type of creek wisely.

Steep snow can be unnerving, but negotiating it with the right skills after wise decisions can be just like crossing a challenging creek. You've got to know what you're doing. Keep in mind this whole discussion has to do with early season high sierra backpacking, say any time after the thaw starts, around mid-May. The danger with steep snow is falling and tumbling into boulders, trees, going over a cliff, or into a lake/creek below you. The classic PCT injury happens every year on Sonora Pass. There is a snow field on the south side (northern aspect) that claims a few thru hikers because they have already sent home their self-arrest and traction control devices, thinking there won't be any more snow ahead. Retain this, as long as you may have to cross even a short, steep patch of snow across the trail, keep those two items with you! (...and don't use an ice axe! Take a self-arrest pole because it serves to prevent a loss of balance in the first place and then serves to save your life by allowing you to self-arrest or stop your tumble before you run into something harder than you).

Ok, the potential for death is probably greater in a whitewater creek crossing and for serious injury after a steep snow slip-and-fall, but all in all, both are nasty, but the risks are minimized with training and experience, for sure!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education, Inc.
ned at mountaineducation.org