[pct-l] Shoe size, type, yet foot expansion while backpacking?

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 17:39:43 CST 2017

You may be onto something Ned.  It could very well be that the constriction
of your boots over the years have stopped your feet from growing the way
ours have who use lighter shoes.  Binding can cause bones and muscles to
grow or not grow in animals and humans when done for long enough.  I'm
thinking of the head binding of the Maya and foot binding of women in
China, and other peoples practices.  But, after spending the summer
trekking in Madagascar, where most laborers and common folk were barefoot
most of their lives, I got to see feet that were so amazingly wide, long
and muscular, that I started surreptitiously taking cel phone photos of
them.  They looked like Hobbit feet.  The toes had visible muscle and were
fat with it, and were spread apart like our fingers.  The fat pads, that
most of us don't have, were visible on the sides of their instep, balls and
heal, kind of squishing out as they walked.  They had incredible padding!
  I would argue that this is probably a much more "naturally human" shape
for a human foot.  These men and women had never had anything constricting
their feet all their lives.   We hiked through the jungles  along old,
rocky railroad grades, the rocks on which were so angular that they hurt
our feet after one day on them in shoes.  These native guys were hiking
miles, barefoot, carrying 150lbs of bananas!  They walked much faster than
me, Francis or Rejoice!  We couldn't keep up!

So, my point is that maybe it is the softness of our trail runners and wide
toe box shoes that are actually allowing our feet to regain some of their
true and healthier  shape.  I know that after all the thru hikes, my toes
have space now, I've grown 2.5 sizes and best of all..... I have no foot
issues!  No pain, no planters faciitus, which I used to suffer from, I hike
all day and am sore in places, but never my feet.  Slowly over the years of
long trail hiking, my feet look more like those lifelong barefoot folks I
lived with this summer.  Maybe not a bad thing.

Shroomer