[pct-l] Snow in the Sierrras

sebastian.opalko at gmail.com sebastian.opalko at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 18:19:00 CST 2017

I don't ever reply or write here but I do much appreciate all the info you guys send. Thanks.
------ Original message------From: Brian ForestellDate: Sun, Jan 15, 2017 6:21 PMTo: pct-l at backcountry.net;Cc: Subject:Re: [pct-l] Snow in the Sierrras
It was great that Weathercarrot posted the link to the snow across California.  Here is a link to the site that tracks the snow in the Sierras.  http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/snowapp/sweq.action   In the southern Sierras the snowpack is a whopping 197% of normal for this time.  The central Sierra (Walker Pass up to about Donner Pass) is at 163 % of normal.  In Mammoth this month they had an enormous amount of snow that dumped on them.  At the main lodge they have had over 12 feet of snow.  The main lodge sits at about 7900 feet.  The top of the mountain which sits at about 11,000 feet ( Forrester Pass is at 13,200) had almost double that amount of snow.  The accumulated base at the top of the mountain is about 22.5 feet.  One of the biggest hiking seasons for snow was in 2011.  The cdec.water.ca site allows you to look at what historical levels were at other times.  You change the date an hit refresh.  On January 14, 2011 the snow pack in the Central Sierras was at 166% of normal.  Current levels are not far off from those.Here is the link to  current snow conditions at Mammoth http://www.mammothmountain.com/winter/mountain-information/mountain-information/snow-conditions-and-weather   If you scroll down you can look at the extended snow history.  This tracks the amount of snow at the main lodge.  I have been following the site pretty closely and was surprized at how much extra snow fell at the top of the mountain.  Unfortunately they don’t track that info on that site.  The summit cam is now buried in snow.  Mammoth Ski resort is just down the hill from Devils Postpile/Red’s Meadow.  It is admittedly about 80 aerial miles away from Forrester Pass but it does give you an indication of how high snow levels are.  The big dumps of snow often occur later in the season.  The existing snow levels don’t predict what it going to be like in June.  However, it does mean that hikers need to follow the snow pack carefully and make safe decisions.  If you don’t know how to arrest yourself with an ice axe this might be the year you learn how to do it.  The latest version of micro spikes would be a good investment.  ttps://kahtoola.com/product/microspikes/We don’t know what snow levels are going to be in April.  It could start to dry up and temperatures could climb melting the snow.  The intention of this email was to bring attention to the “potential” of difficulties this year.  I have to admit that there is also a part of me that, like Chicken Little in the fable, is crying, “The snow is falling...the snow is falling.” May all of you be safe this summer.Brian aka Trouble_______________________________________________Pct-L mailing listPct-L at backcountry.netTo unsubscribe, or change options visit:http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-lList Archives:http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/All content is copyrighted by the respective authors.Reproduction is prohibited without express permission.