[pct-l] Snow snow snow. Let's go!

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Fri Jan 13 01:50:56 CST 2017

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 1:45 PM, Casey Stevens <costevens078 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to shoot this thru-hike in 100 days. And I don't plan on
> failing... Even if there's snow...

Doing the trail quickly is not about going fast. It is about doing
very long days with few breaks, and not taking zeros or neros.

If you enter the Sierra early, and have no footprints to follow, you
are going to need heavier equipment. And that will slow you down

Also you will be slowed down by postholing in the snow - slowed down a
lot. I went from 30+ mile days to less than 20 once I left Crabtree
Meadows... and that was hiking 15 hour days.
https://geezerhiker.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/postholing.jpg

You might want to watch the snow data, and plot the melt rate, then
change your departure date so that you miss the snow

visit
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snow/PAGE6
and look at Upper Tyndall Creek. The water content there is more than
double what it was a week ago.