[pct-l] Head lamps

Town Food pctl at marcusschwartz.com
Fri Feb 24 20:34:52 CST 2017

I personally really liked my Zebralight.  The body is a bit heavier than
most headlights (about 2oz rather than 1oz, if I recall), but it uses a
single AA battery instead of the more common 3 AAA arrangement.  This
means that carrying spares is lighter.  (Plus, AA batteries are more
capacity-per-weight than AAA -- so spares have more light-per-weight
than 3x AAA lights).

Plus, it supported a wide range of brightnesses, including a really dim
one suitable for use inside the tent.

Plus, if you unscrew the tail cap about a half turn, it can't turn on.
So it won't get turned on inside your pack.

Because of all this, I ended up going through about 3 AA batteries on
the entire PCT last year (I used Engergizer e2 Lithium Advanced, which
last quite a bit longer than alkaline in high-drain applications like
lights.  And they weigh less).  Though note that I didn't night hike
much (since I hate it -- it just seems dangerous, un-scenic, and cold to
me).

All that said, I don't think I saw anybody else with a Zebralight.  So
it's definitely not the most popular on the trail.  But I vote for it!

 -=Marcus