[pct-l] Sand Fire Alternative

Rick Parker rickrparker at icloud.com
Mon Feb 20 21:27:09 CST 2017

I talked to the folks at KOA in Acton (Mile 444) and they said the trail is open from the Sand Fire last year.  I don’t want to sound as an authority and I am not the speaking as the burning bush - no pun intended, so don’t take this as a point of expertise.  I would suppose the rains will take a toll everywhere in the recent years fire zones.  That notwithstanding there is a road an HalfMile’s 425 (RD0425B) marker I see on the Google Earth with the HalfMile overlay.  It’s called Bear Trap Rd and appears to be fresh cut so Poodle Dog Bush may not be a problem?  On the Google Maps and Google Earth, it looks like a ridge cut fire break winding itself down toward Alisio Canyon Rd, Left on Edison Rd, Right on Assarte Canyon Rd into what appears to be a massive RV Park area.  Then hitch to KOA looks to be 3 milesish down Soledad Canyon Hwy.  Any knowledge on this as a viable alternative in the event the Sand Canyon Fire is closed?  I think I’ll have plenty of time waiting for Sierra snow to melt a good bit.

PS.  Thank you HalfMile for this great trip planning tool.  If you don’t have the KMZ or KML in Google Earth, you are really missing out!