[pct-l] So Cal Peak bagging this year?

Gary Schenk gary_schenk at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 7 10:40:35 CST 2017

It depends.

In early April these peaks will likely have snow pack. Experienced mountaineers have died on Baldy, San Gorgonio and Baden-Powell. These peaks get snow, followed by warmer weather. The snow partially melts during the day, then freezes at night. Then more snow will fall. So you'll end up with a sheet of ice covered by a thin layer of snow. This is a common condition and gets people all the time. Some people were injured on Baldy recently when the snow cover slid off the ice layer underneath causing a small avalanche.

I would approach those peaks with good boots, capable of kicking steps, crampons and ice axe and be ready to use them.

On the other hand, I've been on Baldy in January when it was totally dry. Last weekend on the north side of the San Gabriels the snow started at 6000'.

YMMV

Gary