[pct-l] Steep Snow Travel

Jeffrey Olson jjolson58 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 10:25:36 CST 2017

> I don't use straps on my hiking poles for a reason, probably similar to why you don't with skis.  LOL, my last yard sale found me having to go over a steep edge to get that other ski.
> My point was the obvious lack of knowledge and carelessness I observed.  I've also seen it personally on the trail.

I stopped using straps on my hiking poles when exploring the Middle Fork
of the San Joaquin on the California Riding and Hiking Trail (hasn't
been maintained in 15 to 20 years). Here's an excerpt from a narrative
of the trip.  The lesson I learned - never, ever have pole straps on
when going downhill on anything but a PCT grade trail.

About half way down the canyon wall I came to a drop that required me to
step from one granite slab down 24" to a granite boulder covered with
last fall's leaves. These were leaves that had fallen, been covered with
snow over the winter, and now, were flat and slick ready to decompose
into threads. From the boulder I would need to step another 24" down to
a small flat spot of dirt. There was a small pine tree next to the
boulder. This was the 50th, 100th, 200th little maneuver I'd made to
make my way down to the river I could hear blasting along the canyon's
bottom, far below. I put my right hand's pole on the leaf covered
boulder and began to lower myself. I put my right foot and weight on the
boulder, but was not "centered." My foot slipped off it and the next
thing I knew I was spinning out into space. It would have been a simple
matter to lower my left hand and catch myself on the granite slab, but
when I reached down to do so, my pole caught on the boulder below, and
my hand scribed an arc forward into space. I found myself falling
backwards, twisting around my left hand's pole. I did my best to
collapse rather than actually fall, figuring it would be better to skid
down the incline. However I'd gone to far and had to actually pull my
right hand around my head as I fell. I landed on my pack and bounced off
the boulder. I continued to twist my body through the fall and ended up
spreadeagled with four point contact over the little dirt spot I'd meant
to step on. I'd managed to land on my back and then do an intentional
180 degree flip/fall and land to feet and hands. My poles made my
landing awkward, but I didn't scrape my face or head or body. I landed
in a spider position and hung there for a moment before collapsing into
the dirt and rock of the forested canyon wall.

Jeff, Laramie, WY