[pct-l] Heights

Arliss w7xu at w7xu.com
Wed Dec 13 21:50:53 CST 2017

While most folks will say there's really nothing to it, I'll have
to admit that I found crossing the bowl and completing the final
few feet to the top of Forester Pass rather intimidating. It's
not so much due to a fear of heights (I routinely climb and work
on radio towers over 100' high without a problem), but more of a
problem with fear due to exposure, such as looking over the side
of a tall building or approaching the edge of a steep drop off.
It's not rational, but that's the way it is for me.

Nevertheless, I made it across the bowl at the top and the final
ascent by following behind a friend (close, but not too close)
and just focusing on the trail. I had an ice axe and microspikes
for that little section and was glad I did.

The good news is that the top of Forester and a couple of spots
on the climb up Mt. Whitney were the only areas on the PCT that
gave me any problems re: exposure (and Whitney isn't actually
even on the PCT, of course).

The rest of the story: we went over Forester on midsummer's day.
After descending below the snowline, we found a spot to set up
camp. Not long thereafter, a young woman came along and asked if
she could join us while she waited for her friends to catch up
with her.

She subsequently went on to point out that it was Hike Naked Day
and volunteered that she had hiked naked up Forester Pass with no
problems. When asked if we had hiked naked, my friend and I
commented that it was best for everyone concerned if older
gentlemen such as ourselves kept all of our clothing on. She said
she got dressed for the hike down the other north of Forester
because she was afraid of post-holing. She obviously did not
share my fear of exposure.

Iceman