[pct-l] International Thruhiker needs help with ATT gophone

Town Food pctl at marcusschwartz.com
Mon Apr 10 22:43:50 CDT 2017

I'm not expert on AT&T's GoPhone line, but maybe they're saying the K220
is incompatible because it doesn't support AT&T's LTE bands.  GSMArena
shows that phone as capable of LTE bands 1, 3, 7, 8, and 20.  But, AT&T
uses 2, 4, 12, and 17.  I once had a carrier refuse to activate a
4G-capable phone without 4G service, maybe that's what's happening here.

That said, two things:

1. US Phone carriers are terrible at figuring out what phones are
compatible with their network -- they're used to people buying phones
directly from (and subsidized by) the carrier.  On 3 different
occasions, I've had to call my carrier to activate a SIM, because my
carrier's web site said my phone and/or SIM was incompatible.

2. In the US, CDMA carriers have much better coverage outside cities
than GSM carriers.  Verizon in particular has the best PCT coverage.

 -=Marcus