[pct-l] Incompetent veins

marmot marmot marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 29 13:09:15 CDT 2016

I honestly have no idea what this medical challenge entails.
But,I wanted you to know that I did my first long trail at 42. 16,000 miles later I'm still hiking.  Doing 20-25 mile days. I don't do big miles cause speed hiking doesn't interest me. That's not a dump on the people to whom speed is important. I just love to wander. It's so different from my job. I move someone else' speed at work. But for at least 2-3 months a year I get to see,absorb and observe each tiny pebble ,flower and leaf that I pass.  I can't move faster and see what I want to see. Some people can. It's the one time in the year that I don't push myself.
Right now,for the first time ever, I am dealing with being injured on a trail. Fell badly off some boulders --now have 5 broken ribs. Can't wait to get into rehab so that I can put a pack on again. Have to get those core muscles back in shape after doing nothing for over month. I'm waiting for doctor's permission to exercise. At this point I can't even drive. Don't want to rebreak the ribs by putting stress on them before they are completely healed.
Hope you are able to get out there again soon. Someone will have a solution. It may take a lot of work and changes in diet and exercise.  People with lots of health challenges have done long trails. Diabetics, hikers with prosthetics,people with MS,blind hikers-- the list is endless.
Marmot

Sent from my iPhone