[pct-l] Tent Design for Happy Hikes, pt. 1

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Oct 19 10:19:50 CDT 2016

[Again, this is for those who don't "do" Facebook where, on the Mountain
Education, Inc. page, aspiring hikers can find lots of wilderness safety
info to consider before their next trip!]

[First, the classic disclaimer: We are not tent designers nor are we tent
manufacturers in any way. What follows are just our observations and
opinions on tent design, function, and performance after watching and using
many in the field over our 34 as a wilderness school. We solely hope this
helps you make an educated decision when you come to purchasing a tent.]

If your pack is your home, your tent is your bedroom!

Let's talk tent design for happy hikes.

Purpose: To provide a portable, enclosed, and secure shelter from the
outside world.

(The right tent for you, then, needs to be based on these four "knowns"!)

Outside World (anticipated elements):

-          Weather

-          Bugs/Animals

-          Campsites (exposure, surface material, campfires, people)

Portable:

-          Size, Weight, and Volume (You'll have to carry it!)

-          Difficulty of trip

-          How carried

Enclosed:

-          Purpose/Function (why a tent, ease of pitching, adjustability)

-          Design (roominess, dimension, shape, doors, storage, cleaning)

-          Materials & Construction (fabric, zippers, seams, pole design and
strength)

Security:

-          Weatherproof (sun, heat, sparks, cold, wind, rain, hail, ice,
snow, splash, wind-driven)

-          Bug/animal-proof (crawling, climbing, flying, chewing,
slithering, creeping, clawing)

-          Privacy

Choosing a tent based on the season the manufacturer designed it for, alone,
assumes the designers knew what you'll be walking into, and you'll be hoping
it's true! Let's break all this down into greater detail so you can make an
educated and informed decision:

Part-2 just came out today, but we wanted to post part-1, first. Part-2 will
get into the details of "The Outside World."

https://www.facebook.com/mountaineducation/

Ned Tibbits, Director

Mountain Education, Inc.

ned at mountaineducation.org <mailto:ned at mountaineducation.org>