[pct-l] Hardest Climb

Jeffrey Olson jjolson58 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 11:19:05 CST 2016

In 1971 I hiked part of the JMT and went out over Taboose Pass. It's
close to a 6000' drop down scree, and then across desert to the highway
- 100 degrees in late June.  20 miles, and six hours or so.  There's a
creek where the dirt road hits the highway.  I took my Vasque Whitneys
(5lbs of boots) off - my feet were almost twice their normal size, put
them in cold creek water, and passed out for 45 minutes.  I couldn't
imagine going up in those conditions!

Jeff, Laramie, WY

On 11/27/2016 9:28 AM, Gary Schenk wrote:
> Hardest climb? Connecting with the PCT over Taboose Pass. Second place would be getting to the PCT over Shepherd Pass. A couple of years ago we ran into a couple hiking out Shepherd to resupply!  Oopsie! :-)
>
> Gary

---