[pct-l] Snow Caves

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Sun Nov 6 17:52:33 CST 2016

Shelter Option for Snow Camping, the Snow Cave!

Most people don't realize that sleeping in snow, rather than on snow, is far
warmer. If you take out of the temperature equation sub-freezing cold and
wind, which is what you get on a clear, starry winter's night, at least in
the Sierra, sleeping in a snow cave doesn't get any colder than 32 degrees!

Yes, it takes about 2 hours for 3 people to build (at least the townhouse
models), and "the digger" can get fairly wet in the process (primarily due
to sweat!), but they can weather any storm in luxury!

Once, we started 3 side-by-side tunnels into a deep-snow hillside separated
by 10-12 feet. Each went in a body-length or so before going up onto its
sleeping platform and 8-foot diameter room. By the time we were done, we had
a 2-bedroom, one kitchen dormitory for eight people that got us through a
multi-day, 5-foot snowstorm! It came complete with numerous candle-lanterns
cut into the sidewalls like sconces, nice, big tunnels for ease of getting
into and out, high, arched ceilings and a kitchen table for everyone to cook
on! If we had been in our tents (we had them, too!), we would have been
outside digging them out numerous times throughout the days and nights the
storm raged (1982).

This is just one of the skills we teach aspiring snow-hikers on our Snow
Basics Courses. If you are interested in knowing more, go to our wilderness
school's website at  <http://www.mountaineducation.org/>
www.mountaineducation.org

Ned Tibbits, Director

Mountain Education, Inc.