[pct-l] Tent Design for Happy Hikes (part 2)

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Sun Nov 6 17:46:22 CST 2016

(As we published Part-3 the other day, I realized that those who don't do
Facebook haven't been kept up to date with all of our recent articles!
Photos are at the school's FB page. Here's Part-2 regarding tents):

[First, the classic disclaimer: We are not tent designers nor are we tent
manufacturers in any way. What follows are just our observations and
opinions on tent design, function, and performance after watching and using
many in the field over our 34 as a wilderness school. We solely hope this
helps you make an educated decision when you come to purchasing a tent.]

The Outside World:

If a tent is an enclosed, portable shelter from the elements, what do you
think those elements will be on your next trip?

Find out!

-          Research the comments from others who've been there at the same
time of year (better yet, from those who work there every year!) to read
what they had to deal with.

-          Go there on a short trip to experience the area for yourself.
(However, realize that what you read from someone else's singular experience
there or find out for yourself may not be what confronts you next time. Such
is mountain weather! That's why we say, "Plan for the worst and hope for the
best.")

Know in advance what you'll likely be hiking into. Select a tent design that
can handle it.

Next, know yourself!

-          If you love to sleep, having a warm, dry, secure shelter from the
raging storm outside is paramount to your happiness. Since mountain storms
can develop unexpectedly, you need a shelter that can protect you from nasty
weather!

-          If you don't mind sleeping out in the open, exposed to the
elements and animals, and are willing to have a wet and cold night once in a
while, then maybe a simple tarp will do for you.

Know in advance what you want a tent to provide for you. How will it handle:

-          Weather:  Do you expect to deal with bad wind, rain, hail, snow,
blowing sand, thunder and lightning, hot sun, or ice? How well your tent
functions in these situations and conditions may dictate which tent to buy!
The designs that work will be talked about below. If you opt for a tarp
because you don't mind risking getting wet and cold occasionally, make sure
you'll have the likelihood to stay warm during the event and to dry out
after.

-          Bugs & Animals:  As you will find out, it is the little pests
(mice, ground squirrels, chipmunks, ants, scorpions, mosquitoes, crickets,
etc.) that get into everything, including your tent. So, if getting a good
night's sleep requires these be kept at bay, you'll want a tent that can be
zipped tight with a tub floor and raised doors (zipper that is off the
ground). Remember to close the door behind you! Bears? If you keep your food
(and the smell of it) in a bear canister far from your tent, you needn't
worry. Experience will dictate, also.

-          Campsites:  The location of and activities within your campsite
may influence your choice of tent design, too!

1.       If your campsites will be above timberline and exposed to
wind-driven rain, hail, or snow, you will relish a strong, multi-pole
design. If you will be in a lot of hot sun, you might want a light color or
mostly netting on walls and roof to keep you cooler.

2.       If you're travelling on open rock, sand, or snow with few nice
areas of dirt for stake placement, you might want a free-standing design
that can be used with "deadman" anchors.

3. If you love spending your evenings staring into a campfire near your
tent, you might want to check which way the sparks are drifting, and if
toward your tent, hope that it is flame retardant!

4. If you plan on hiking a very popular trail where people may be camping
near you (or you are in a big group of people hiking together already), you
might want a design that prevents others from seeing into your tent.

5. If your campsites will be small in size, you might want a narrow tent
design (especially if you are climbing and sleeping on ledges!).

Ned Tibbits, Director

Mountain Education, Inc.

ned at mountaineducation.org <mailto:ned at mountaineducation.org>