[pct-l] Good uses for "Dead Hiker Husbands"

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Sat May 28 15:48:41 CDT 2016

JMT Reinhold wrote: Big Hummel is gone,...AsABat is gone,...and now Baltimore Jack is gone.They all were much younger than you and I.That made me realize, you and I, we are getting old.I mean you and I, we started hiking long before the current crop was born.My hiking career started in the USMC in 1964, where hiking is a way of life,not a recreation.I remember first climbing Mt. Whitney, after the USMC, way back in 1968 andhave been hiking ever since.
Switchback replies: Yes, some of our pals have hit the Happy Hiking Trails in the sky.  I just got back (Saturday morning) from Yosemite and Tuolumne Meadows (Friday).  I rode up on my motorcycle trike to check things out for a backpacking trip in mid-June.  The scenery was fantastic with snow covering all the peaks.  Amazing.  I think I saw the Wagon Master, Jack, and As-a-Bat hiking across the far end of Tuolumne Meadows as I motored along the highway.  But I cannot be sure. I turned off the highway and got on a snow-free dirt road on the north-side and plunged into the outback to a horse correl.  I could not find them, but saw some tracks in the snow where they had been.  I cannot wait to get back to the area and Lyell Canyon.  I bet I run into them again and we do some camping together.  I then rode down to Lone Pine and up to the Whitney Portal Store.   I had the famous burger and fries for lunch.  I asked Doug if he had seen them.  Nothing to report that far south.