[pct-l] RIP- Missing AT hiker Inchworm: "When you find my body..."

Paint YW paintyourwagonhikes at gmail.com
Sat May 28 15:13:58 CDT 2016

While reading on another forum (non hiking) a thread was started regarding
the story of an AT hiker that went missing. Geraldine Largay, left the AT
to do her business in the woods, but never came back out. She got lost, and
stayed at her campsite for 26 days until dying from starvation and
exposure. I believe the article states that she was 3,000 feet from the
trail. That's a little over a half mile in distance.

In her notes she mentions that she is north of the trail, therefore hiking
south of her position would reunite her with the trail, in perhaps an hour
or two at most, surmising that the woods were dense and choked with
undergrowth. She did not report being injured in her diary. Apparently, she
stayed in the same location for all 26 remaining days of her life.

I wonder if she became mentally paralyzed by imagined fear, and could not
break free from whatever comfort she took in staying in one place. She was
near water, had fire starting tools, and a compass. It is quite strange,
very sad, and a great mystery. While not PCT linked, it's hiking/hiker
specific, and will likely generate a number of responses from the list-
serve's body of knowledge and experience.

Perhaps lessons can be drawn from this hiker's plight, that might help
someone else, should they find themselves lost in the extreme. May I ask
that the snark and mockery, which is well honed on the Internet, be
tempered by compassion and consideration for the deceased, and her family?

The news articles linked below, contain a number of working links to
additional articles, to include the investigative report by law enforcement.

Have at it-

Paint YW

"When you find my body, please call my husband," wrote dying hiker lost
along the Appalachian Trail-

The Washington Post, May 26, 2016

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp
/2016/05/26/when-you-find-my-body-please-call-my-husband-wrote-dying-hiker-lost-along-the-
appalachian-trail/

The Washington Post, October 16, 2015

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp
/2015/10/16/skeletal-remains-likely-those-of-66-year-old-who-disappeared-in-2013-during-her-dream-hike/

The Maine Warden Service held a news conference in Oct. 2015 to announce
the discovery of the remains of missing hiker Geraldine Largay, who had
last been seen in July 2013. (Centralmaine.com)