[pct-l] Hiker division out of Kennedy Meadows

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sat May 21 14:05:13 CDT 2016

This is very similar to the conditions we had in 2010 when a slightly above
average snow year just failed to melt out in its usual fashion.  People
were jumping forward to Castle Crags to hike south in hopes of less snow.

I had to leave trail for a wedding in WA and drove to Steven's Pass and
Shasta on the way and found so much snow that I went back down to Lone Pine
after the event and hiked north  with my friends from the desert.

We found the going very slow but doable for our bunch, though many bailed
out that year.  It was in fact dangerous going.  Some of the folks who
jumped north turned around after 50 miles of terrible blow downs and snow,
but several who made it through crossed paths with us at So. Lake Tahoe and
we all later finished the hike within a day of each other at Manning Park.

The results that year showed no appreciable difference in the timing of our
hikes, but we reached Northern California after most of the blow downs had
been cleared and those who had jumped forward reached the High Sierra when
the snows were mostly melted out and more significantly,  the stream levels
were much lower.  That year, the stream crossings were awful for us and at
times very dangerous, slowing our progress in the early season, just as the
blow downs slowed theirs.  In one section in Northern California that
hadn't been cleared, I counted over 300 downed trees per half mile.  It was
incredible.   Those who jumped forward dealt with that for several hundred
miles.  Those I met who gave up after 50 miles had simply lost the trail in
the mess and couldn't go forward.

So it's kind of a crap shoot no matter where you enter in a snowy year when
you're entering the Western mountains in early season.  Sit it out and come
in when the white stuff has receded, or get an ice axe and some crampons or
microspikes and have the hike of your life!  For the 5 of us who stayed
together from Trail Pass to Sonora Pass, it was the best part of the whole
hike.

Good luck and great hiking to all of you facing this decision this year.

Shroomer