[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 101, Issue 5

Kathryn Hampton khampton228 at gmail.com
Thu May 5 18:13:58 CDT 2016

Hi Erin!

Awesome! You're going to have a great time. I hiked solo last year (as a lone, young female) and I did a few things to stay safe and feel comfortable:

1- never told anyone where I was planning to camp or how many miles I was planning to hike

2- stealth camped; I left the trail when no one was looking and selected a campsite that couldn't be seen from any trails. I also tried to eat away from my campsite. This gave me the benefit of privacy and added an element of exploration to my hike

3- made friends with people hiking my same pace. I did have one hiker who made me uncomfortable and so I talked to other hikers about it and also camped with them

4- carried earplugs to keep out the noises of the night

When I left i told my mom I'd never hitchhike alone, but I was hitching alone like 90% of the time. I never had an issue. Most people are decent, and frequently women drivers will pull over for solo female hikers because they feel a responsibility to help keep us safe. Also, the guys like having female hikers to hitch with because we're sometimes more likely to get people to stop ("ride-bride," but I rather like "hitch-bitch").
Also, Erin "Wired" Saver has a couple-few excellent blog posts/articles about being a solo female hiker. Her website is walkingwithwired.com and it is awesome (so is she!).

Kat

Sent from my iPhone