[pct-l] Body weight vs pack weight

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Wed May 4 17:31:53 CDT 2016

JPL,
I have a problem with your "application".
You say for two guys of the same height, one weighing 160 lb, the other
170 lb, the max. pack weight for the 160 lb guy would be 40 lb (160x25%)
while the max. pack weight for the 170 lb guy, since he already carries
10 lb excess body weight would be 30 lb.

I have a problem with that.
What if the 160 lb guy is a soft flabby out of shape weakling who never
hiked a mile and the 170 lb guy is a hunk of muscles marathon runner and
hard core backpacker?

According to your argument the 160 lb weakling should be carrying a
heavier pack than the 170 lb hunk of muscles.

Seems to me it should be the other way around.

Extra body weight does not need to be fat and a liability...it can be
muscles and a advantage.

JMT Reinhold

JPL wrote:
I agree, it's not, or shouldn't be, a strict rule.  My application is this:
Take your height, and find the "normal" weight for that gender, height and
age.  The 25% should be based on that weight.  Say that weight for you is
160 pounds, then your max pack weight is 25% x 160 or 40 pounds.  But say
that you actually weigh 170 pounds.  Then you're already carrying 10 pounds
of "excess" weight, so I would subtract that from your max pack weight to
get 30 pounds.