[pct-l] Body weight vs pack weight

JPL jplynch at crosslink.net
Wed May 4 14:03:17 CDT 2016

I agree, it's not, or shouldn't be, a strict rule.  My application is this:
Take your height, and find the "normal" weight for that gender, height and
age.  The 25% should be based on that weight.  Say that weight for you is
160 pounds, then your max pack weight is 25% x 160 or 40 pounds.  But say
that you actually weigh 170 pounds.  Then you're already carrying 10 pounds
of "excess" weight, so I would subtract that from your max pack weight to
get 30 pounds.
   Otherwise, the logical conclusion of mis-applying the rule would be to
gain weight to get your pack weight up.  Taking our 160 normal weight hiker.
He/she wants to carry 50 pounds.  So in order to make the math work, he
would need to get his weight up to 200 pounds yielding 25% time 200 is 50.
Ta da!  Obviously NOT what you want to do!