[pct-l] PCT hiker bitten by a rattlesnake

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Wed May 4 01:29:17 CDT 2016

Did I hear someday, recently, say..."Seriously snakes will have zero impact
on your hiking"...?
Hhhhmmm...I must have been dreaming.

JMT Reinhold
The dreamer.

Retired Air Force Major and PCT Thru-hiker Geraldine Kail was bitten by a
rattlesnake somewhere (not sure of the exact location yet) approaching
Cajon Junction (Mile 342), and helicoptered to Loma LInda University
Medical Center (about 25 miles away) this afternoon (May 3).  Internationally
known snake expert Dr. Sean Bush recently left Loma Linda for the Brody
School of Medicine at East Carolina University, but we trust he left
well-trained colleagues behind.  Geraldine's husband, Tim, who has been
supporting her hike, took Brad Wilson, who has been hiking with her since
Boulder Oaks Campground (Mile 26), with him to the hospital.  I hiked with
Brad and Gerri over the weekend to complete the section between Splinter's
Cabin and Mojave Dam. Gerri's a cheerful, strong, and friendly person.  We
wish her a speedy recovery and hope little damage is done.

Ron "Slo Charger" Graybill

---