[pct-l] Black Mountain Alternate

Cox Mail allen.swanson at cox.net
Wed Mar 23 13:30:46 CDT 2016

Brick is right, but it's a long way to the forest road so I got a ride. Lots of nice people in Idyllwild will help you out. It's 8.9 miles along  highway 243, then 1.8 miles up the dirt road to the closed gate. Then six miles of walking to the place where the PCT crosses Forest Road 4S01 the Black Mountain Trail.

Halfmile has a good map that shows the alternate. Guthooks app also shows it.

Hikingsolo

On Mar 22, 2016, at 2:36 PM, Brick Robbins <brick at brickrobbins.com> wrote:

> Could you describe the Black Mountain alternate?I haven't seen a description of that, but it sounds like a good backup plan.

You walk down the main road north out of Idllywild 243, and then take
the Black Mtn Trail, and the forest road to Black Mountain Campground,
where the PCT descends from Fuller Ridge.

Here is how google maps says to go https://goo.gl/uV7bJr