[pct-l] Heights

Tom Grundy caver456 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 15:25:01 CDT 2016

The wind is a strong bias, so not only are our rating systems different,
but we probably had amazingly different conditions.  On our windy trip I'd
give it a 2 to 4 on the mainly-westward ridgeline, then a 4 to 6 on the
southward ridge line.  To me, the knowledge that you couldn't fall far due
to all the tussock grass was a big help.  I don't remember any numbers
below treeline.  If it were not windy, I would guess at 0-3 for all of the
ridgeline, but who knows.

But, we didn't stumble or fall anywhere - just had to stop at most
windbreak opportunities.  While a few parts of the PCT gave bigger numbers,
I'd say the average on the PCT was WAY lower.  We went on Routeburn Track
also - that has some significant pucker factor while working northward on
the west-facing slope, but it is all gorgeous.