[pct-l] Good starting point and date if missing the desert?

Leslie Dow leslie at atfore.com
Mon Mar 7 18:20:11 CST 2016

Hi Catherine
I too am going to skip the desert. I get plenty of that living in Arizona.
:)

I'm planning to start at Walker Pass on June 13 of this year. Walker Pass
is on Hwy 178 between Bakersfield and Ridgecrest. I'm going to fly into
Bakersfield and take a Kern Transit Bus to Walker's pass. It does not stop
every day, so I'll have to time the trip, but it's doable.

I considered starting at Hwy 58 where the trail crosses near Tehachapi, but
it's a pretty dry stretch between Hwy58 and Walker Pass. It will still be
dry beyond Walker Pass but you start getting into the Sierra and I need
some time to acclimate to the altitude. I chose it because it gives me a
few days to acclimate before going over 8,000 feet when you get beyond
Kennedy Meadow's south and before you head up into the high Sierra.

Hope this helps.  Here is the link to Kern Transit:
http://kerntransit.org/

Best
Leslie