[pct-l] Good starting point and date if missing the desert?

DayLate07 . dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 20:10:49 CST 2016

 Catherine, if you must miss the desert then fly into LA and catch the
trail as close to LAX as possible.  Or head over to Palm Springs (from
LAX) and take the tram up and connect with the PCT.

But, I must ask,  why would anyone want to miss the So CA Desert?  It is
wonderful in the spring and such a great section of the trail.

Hopefully, you are just thinking desert - Lawrence of Arabia kind of stuff
-  but the So. Cal. is really not like that at all - it is very special and
coming from the UK should be extra special as it is different than what you
are used to in the UK or what you are probably expecting.

If your schedule is so constrained that you have to miss a section - this
is not the part I would chose.  Of course I live in Arizona where we have
real desert (just kidding CA).  If my schedule was such that I did not have
time to hike the whole trail I would still start at Campo and just go north
until I ran out of time.  You could always come back an hike the section
you missed another time  - the trail will be there.   HYOH

Day-Late

I'm in the very (very!) early days of planning a thru hike next year.