[pct-l] Open, open, open...

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Fri Mar 4 16:23:49 CST 2016

Tom has a very good point, especially if you are nearing a re-supply exit
point AND have space left in your own trash bag. On the other hand, when
first starting out from such a point, you may wish to be somewhat more
conservative in how much and what you pick up, since you'll need space for
what you generate yourself.

Over the years, I have found that most of the non-TP trash is found in
campsites close to public access points. The Eagle Creek Trail alternate in
OR is a perfect example. From 7 mile camp to the trailhead, my wife and I
picked up - in a single trip - a wet 12x12 tarp, a full can of Spam, a full
bottle of beer (I was forced to drink the contents to lighten the load), a
wet sleeping bag, several crushed tin cans, paper trash, and an old cooking
pot. We were forced by lack of space - we had our own camping gear with us -
to leave 2 pristine sleeping bags lying beside the trail. Each time we hike
in the Columbia Gorge, we carry an extra trash bag with us to pack out
"orphan trash".

Lost gear is a different matter. On the JMT, I picked up a rolled Thermarest
pad and a new high-end ceramic water filter, both of which had apparently
jumped off the owners' packs unnoticed. I left them at Muir Trail Ranch in
the vain hope they might be reunited with their owners. Otherwise, the hiker
barrels held a real pleasant surprise for someone.