[pct-l] Resupply

DayLate07 . dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 20:54:48 CST 2016

Yup, you probably are overthinking.

Each method works - so it is just preference

Resupply a lot:

    Plus : less weight to carry

    Minus:   more towns to hike into = slower hike

Resupply less often:

     Plus: more time on trail

     Minus: that pack is heavy leaving town

Resupply Locally:

    Plus:  Helps local towns - good for trail relations
              Can change up food options

    Minus : Cost of shipping
                 Can have better selection if mailed vs small town resupply
                  Must pick up package (PO has limited hours)

I use a hybrid method where I ship myself some food so I get a better
quality of meals but then try to buy something in every town I can to help
the local economy.

For example, I don't ship myself snacks or things that at always available
on the trail.  Stuff like nuts, mac & cheese, instant potatoes, peanut
butter, etc.  But I do ship myself things like my dehydrated seafood
chowder meal, my couscous with spinach lunch, supplies of Nido Milk powder,
olive oil (cause I can't buy a small enough amount), bisquick for making
dumplings in my soup, etc.  I ship myself things I can't get or can't get
in small quantities and try to buy some stuff locally too.

Also it is hard to believe this, but sometimes it seems very taxing to get
all the town chores done during a zero in town.  I think for me it is the
hustle and bustle of having so many things to do compared to the simplicity
of life on the trail.  It is nice to occasionally have a slow and simple
resupply once in a while.

BTW: you are overthinking this but so didn't everyone else that was a month
or two away from their first long hike (on the PCT or not).   We've all
been there, waiting for this great adventure to start with all those
anxieties building up and nothing to do but overthink - what have I missed
in my planning, or my goodness what am I thinking - this is crazy etc.
These kind of thoughts all disappear about a week into the hike.

Enjoy, its a great trail, and a great adventure

 Day-Late