[pct-l] Insects and Methods

be hope bh.csuchico at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 04:43:47 CST 2016

Hi Chris, et. al.

Surely my consumption of stuff generates adverse environmental
consequences.

Never used DEET or Permethrin. In an earlier era, used a tiny amount of
sunscreen when initially hitting the trail; quit using that stuff a while
back. What works for me: a hat with ear flaps, bug headnet, long sleeve
shirt, gloves, a beard, and zip off pants provide sun and bug protection.
Most of the time there are no mosquitoes and sometimes I do not require sun
protection which allows me to hike without the headnet, gloves, or leg
bottoms. If the mosquitoes engage in their screeching dive bombing attacks
while cowboy camping, the head net (worn over cap) and ear plugs lull me to
sleep.

One time I noticed a chemical sheen appear where some hikers just went into
some water. Was it a combo of DEET / Permethrin / sunscreen?

Another time north of Wilma lake, I moved off trail to take some pics. A
hiker came up the trail, moved off the trail to stand adjacent to me, and
proceeded to apply DEET. I politely and softly said, “hey, this is a DEET
free zone.” He bellowed a loud laugh and proceeded to spray on more DEET.
It is not uncommon to see / smell hikers apply DEET.

If more and more hikers are comfortable with the existing toxicity studies
regarding DEET and Permethrin and conclude that the “benefits” outweigh the
“costs”, good luck to those hikers with that. Never thought that orthodox
neoclassical economics would trump LNT.

Certain trail locations are particularly inviting for hikers to drop the
pack to enjoy nature, food, water, and talk. This summer on the PCT, you
might find yourself in such a beautiful environment. And if a PCTer
introduces DEET, you might notice someone silently pack up and hit the
trail. That would be me.

More hikers plus more orthodox neoclassical cost-benefit conclusions means
more DEET / Permethrin. The result: less LNT.

Chris, and everyone, have a great hike !

be hope