[pct-l] Useful Skills/Training

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Tue Mar 1 07:21:43 CST 2016

Certainly a wilderness first aid course is desirable - in hopes you don't ever need it. And snow skills might be needed, although if you leave Campo in mid-May, you are less likely to hit significant snow in the Sierra.

But the best "skill" is experience - with your gear, your feet, your water & food needs, etc. Put up your tent in the backyard, at night in the wind and rain. Go out for a few nights and take note of what you didn't use. Look for gear items that can have multiple purposes. Check out which clothing items are the most appropriate, lightest, safest (no cotton). Try various shoes - you may soon learn that boots are not as comfortable as trail runners. Consider not taking a stove and eating foods that require no cooking or can reconstitute in cold water (many can, but it takes longer). Reducing your pack weight will pay many dividends.

Somewhere I heard that the best piece of gear is your head - good judgment, knowledge of your own limitations, ...

Good luck.
Mango