[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 102, Issue 6

Kathryn Hampton khampton228 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 17:03:01 CDT 2016

Hi Gabi, Welcome!

Reading reading reading is a great way to start planning for the PCT. The PCTA website has lots of essential info, and I gleaned some useful stuff from the Facebook page for my class year. Reading blogs definitely prepared me better for the real experience of hiking 2,600-some miles, but my best resource was my PCT-veteran friend. And Halfmile's maps and planning data. I did a ton of research.
After I hiked the whole trail though, I realized I probably could have started with just good shoes, picked up all my gear at Mt. Laguna or kick off, and winged it the rest of the time and been fine.
For good reading (a real book!) about gear and training, Beyond Backpacking by Ray Jardine is a classic and awesome. I think he has a revision out that has more info plus color photos. For me, the book was a grounding place when I started getting too worked up about the overwhelming amount of hiking info on the Internet.

Anyway. That's my two cents :-)

-Kat

Message: 4