[pct-l] solar charger

Jay Bruins jbruins at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 13:52:41 CST 2016

I had an Anker 2nd Gen Astro in 6400mAh for my iPhone 6. Overall this was a good size. I drained it completely twice, which means I wasn’t carrying capacity I wasn’t using. If you don’t listen to music, you could get away with much less. (Paper map users can skip the battery altogether.)

One thing I would do differently is carry a two-port USB charger. In town I had to decide which I wanted to charge first (walking out of town w/o a full charge is the real reason I hit zero). Moreover, if all outlets are full and you have a two-port charger, you can simply plug an existing user into your charger and share the outlet. (Just be kind enough to get a real brand rather than some Chinese or gas-station knock-off so that when you do this the other person’s throughput isn’t affected.)