[pct-l] PCT 2017

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 12:23:20 CST 2016

Hey Hatty,

The best source of info on who will be hiking in 2017 is the Facebook
group, PCT Class of 2017.  Join that as the discussions are already in
progress and people are getting to know each other at a distance even now.
You may want to also join the Pacific Crest Trail (run by Jack Haskel of
the PCTAssociation) Lightweight Backpacking Safety (run by Warner Springs
Monty Tam, one of the great thru hikers and a trail angel at Warner
Springs, early in your hike) and PCT Class of 2016 to just follow along on
the issues for this year's class.  It's also good to join the PCT
Association which is the organization that is in charge overall for the PCT
and will cut you a permit covering all parks and jurisdictions you'll be
hiking through.  It's not often you get a permit for 2,600 miles!  And of
course follow this site, PCTL, as the answers to questions here tend to get
longer and more thoughtful answers in my opinion.  The fb sites are great,
however, very active, with lots of good stuff.

If you want to start reading about Ultra Light Backpacking and the
different techniques and ways of hiking this trail, order Yogi's Guide to
the PCT and dive in.  There are now so many National Scenic Trails in
America, and such mileage, that there have grown up small, very specialized
companies catering to the long distance hiker.  Quite a bit of their gear
is simply much better for the specialized kind of hiking you'll be doing,
than what we can buy at the big outdoor retailers.  And most of the gear
I've seen from Europe, all of which was terrific for climbing Everest or
work in the Arctic Circle, is much too heavy.  Many Europeans I've hiked
with end up buying a whole new set of gear over here, once they start the
trail. Yogi's Guide gives a good list of the smaller cottage industries
that are turning out the best stuff for fast, long-distance hiking.  Also,
before buying stuff ask on line here, or on the fb pages, what people's
experience with certain items are and why they like or dislike them.

Good luck and have a ball planning!  It's the hike of a lifetime.!

Shroomer