[pct-l] El Nino vs. La Nina: Potentially Postpone?

Cody B moonbeams13 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 12:56:29 CST 2016

Hey Fellow Hiker Friends,

I've been planning to do a 2016 NOBO thru-hike, but the sheer quantity of
snow in the Sierras and other conditions related to El Nino are concerning
me. I'm a student and my hike at any time for the next several years will
have to be mid-May to mid-August. Since I have such a short window, if I
get held up at Kennedy Meadows by more than a couple days then I wouldn't
be able to finish the trail. :( That being said, a strong El Nino is often
followed by a strong La Nina, which would typically allow for an earlier
entrance to the Sierras, unless I am mistaken. I know there's no way to
completely tell the snow pack in the summer this early in the year, but
might I be better off postponing my hike to 2017 given my short window and
the predicted conditions? Looking forward to the thoughts of some more
experienced hikers. Thank you in advance!

Yours,

Cody

--
and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss