[pct-l] Jackels

marmot marmot marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 12 20:41:42 CST 2016

This is exactly what is going to stop the behavior. In the beginning ,everyone telling what they saw. So that we don't constantly hear back---"Oh every hiker we met was grateful and polite."  As if what we are finally talking about isn't happening
Most of the hikers are wonderful. But the ones that aren't are destroying the hard won good will in the towns and resupply spots.
Usually this behavior is linked to disconnected fear. They band together to feel safe and then egg each other on. They probably do this in the rest of their lives.
So we talk about it. We say it at every Gathering,KO, and Ruck.  Until no one would have the nerve. Until it's the same as "Leave no Trace. If you saw a hikers throw junk on the trail. You probably would say something. No one expects to do that any more. Last summer,other hikers and I have to confront and in one case send rangers in to deal with illegal fires in a drought season. Some times you just have to grit your teeth and say it.
We tell people not to worry about leaving a group. We remind them there will be people to hike around. You don't have to put up with this. We call the instigators out. It's not easy to do. Especially with a drunk or any drug addict.  It means the whole brain is not being used. Why does anyone think they do it?That is the point. We use names. We tell
If there are predators in the trail,don't you think women start sending out the word. Protecting each other. This the same thing. We need to protect the trail. I say again --that means the trail tread,animals,hikers,Angels
towns. It's all connected and valuable. If enough people talk about it and think of solutions we can change this. I had one hiker say ,that they were not proud of some of the things they did on the early trails and it took a lot of miles to grow up ,so they could not make comments. Hey, to everyone who is a little ashamed ---if you've figured it out ---help out. Don't be an enabler.
Marmot

Sent from my iPhone