[pct-l] Echo Chalet no longer a resupply point / troublemakers on the trail

jcil000-hiker at yahoo.com jcil000-hiker at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 9 12:22:53 CST 2016

The post by Tim Crum doesn't surprise me.
The troublemakers of the world always find a way to ruin life for themajority of us just trying to enjoy life.
I live in San Francisco and observe the annual Bay To Breakers7.1 mile fun run each year. Its an annual event that has been goingon now for over 100 years. Each year corporate donations (sponsors)have allowed a good amount of operating cash and expertise to help keepit operating. In the 1980s, the participant numbers were over 100,000 joggersand a hundred or so actual seeded runners up front.
About four years ago, the entire operation nearly ended as those corporatedonors decided they didn't want to be associated with the problems createdby the troublemakers including peeing in private residential driveways, leavingtheir beer cans along the streets, and just creating a drunk binge en mass. Thefamily atmosphere was poisoned as parents couldn't bring their little kids due tothe exhibitionists who were running around naked as if we all wanted to see that.
It was only with the promise by the City of SF and its police department that they wouldclean it all up that new corporate donors stepped forward to help. As it now is,we have only the one yucky problem of some ELDERLY NAKED MAN standing everymile or so. The police are confronting the drunks, seizing their booze, and / or haulingthem off to the drunk tank.
The PCT was / is a beautiful concept for everyone to enjoy. I'm not sure what mightbe done about the trouble makers. For every 100 hikers who simply wants to backpack, there is one who thinks its funny to cause trouble in any way possible. Eventhrough vandalism and theft. I've read more than a few cases where packers foundtheir gear stolen by other packers.
Day Early