[pct-l] Insects and methods

TBrokaw at montmush.com TBrokaw at montmush.com
Mon Feb 29 10:59:19 CST 2016

One of my concerns that seems missing from the discussion is the toxicity
to fish.  If DEET gets washed off during creek crossings, it would also be
washed off during a swim in a lake.  Many Sierra lakes have no outlet &
any contaminant would remain in the water pretty much forever.  A few
hundred doses per season (possibly thousands) would not be insignificant.
How does this wash with our Leave No Trace practice?  I've used DEET
sparingly over the years.  If the fish toxicity issue is true (new to me),
 I'm ready to try other options.  Thanks Marmott for the Eucalyptus
suggestion.  And thank all of you for the great discussion.
Barista

Tom Brokaw
Corporate Project Manager
Monterey Mushrooms