[pct-l] Insects and methods

Drew Smith jdrewsmith at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 11:36:14 CST 2016

Although DEET smells nasty, it is not a neurotoxin, at least not at
concentrations that can be obtained by normal use, see

Chen-Hussey V, Behrens R, Logan JG. Assessment of methods used to determine
the safety of the topical insect repellent N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide (DEET).
Parasit Vectors. 2014

Key finding: "Animal testing, observational studies and intervention trials
have found no evidence of severe adverse events associated with recommended
DEET use. Minor adverse effects noted in animal trials were associated with
very large doses and were not replicated between different test species.
The safety surveillance from extensive humans use reveals no association
with severe adverse events."

If you don't like how DEET smells or feels (I don't), then don't use it.
But it is not toxic to humans.  And it is a hell of a lot better than a
case of tick fever, Lyme's or West Nile.  I generally spray it on my
clothing rather than my skin, and that seems to work pretty well.

Drew