[pct-l] Bear Spray

Jim Hubler j_hubler at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 20 01:03:42 CST 2016

I hate to be the guy to add even more to this somewhat ridiculous topic, but here goes...

Bear spray or any other "protection" is really not worth the weight, hassle or expense, but it is not illegal in "ALL" National Parks.  If you go to the actual National Park Service website, nps.gov, they outline proper usage, rental options, etc. and as a recent visitor to Glacier National Park (where they rent and sell the spray in the park) I can assure you that it is allowed.  However, as a regular visitor of Yosemite, I also know it is not allowed in YNP.  Leave it to the NPS to not have correct content on all of their sites.

I have opted out when it is permitted as I have found the bears to be far more afraid of me than I have ever been of them and I am pretty sure any surprise attack by a bear would be over long before any hiker in a panic could ever remove the canister from its velcro holster....😂

Happy trails, Jim

Sent from my iPad