[pct-l] bear spray and the PCT

Marvin and Shirley Barg barg at shaw.ca
Sat Feb 20 17:13:49 CST 2016

I read somewhere that the last human killed by a black bear (in the wild) in
California took place in the 1850s. My assumption is that over time, bears
that displayed any killer tendencies have been eradicated from the gene
pool. What remains are bruins who are experts at stealing human food but
loathe to attack people. Not so for the California grizzly, but the last one
was seen in 1924. IMO, bear spray simply not needed except in those parts of
North America where rogue black bears are known to kill humans and in
grizzly country. Grampa Kilt