[pct-l] Resupply Strategy

Allen Swanson Allen.Swanson at cox.net
Fri Feb 19 08:48:15 CST 2016

I¹ve got my resupply strategy pretty well figured out for the desert portion
of the hike. Good weather and unobstructed trails make that portion pretty
easy to guestimate. The ten days past Kennedy Meadows is also pretty
straightforward, assuming that my limited snow skills will get me to my
destinations. From then on out ­ two months from my start date of March 2nd
­ I¹m struggling with what approach to take. Should I guess at my progress
and plan mail drops all the way to the end, plan on buying what I need at
towns and do additional mailings as I go, or something else? How have others
planned for three to five months down the trail?

I expect that my mileage with change as I gain strength and begin to
understand my limits better, so that adds to my uncertainty. What if I can¹t
do much more that my usual 12-16 miles per day? I¹m 62 and in pretty good
shape, but like all older people I have my moments. It seems folly to plan
too far ahead, yet I can see the need. Do people really plan and pack five
months worth of food?

Thanks for the help,

Allen (a.k.a. Hikingsolo to geocachers)