[pct-l] Snow Safety this April-June

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Feb 15 17:16:46 CST 2016

John,

Good question!

You'll probably hear in advance, via people and connections along the trail,
where snow may be covering the trail. Whether you decide to head up and
check it out for yourself may be based on current temperatures and recent
weather.

If the snow you've seen thus far has been consolidated and hard, thus easy
to walk on, suspect the same conditions for the next snow drift or field
covering the trail. Depth doesn't matter when on consolidated snow because
you just walk on top of it, anyway. It is the surface conditions you need to
consider based on your abilities to stay safe dealing with it.

If the snow ahead is on a steep slope, you know the kind of conditions that
will likely be there, and your snow skills are able to safely deal with what
you find, then proceed.

However, if you, personally, have any troubles with certain conditions, like
postholing, suncups, steep, crusty snow, or powder, don't go up.

For example, I have met many a PCT thru hiker make it up to the base of
Forester Pass, over miles of simple snow-walking, only to assess that the
"wall" is too much for their skill set, turn around, and hike the 2 or 3
days back out to Lone Pine.

So, your experience will dictate what you decide to tackle or not.

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education, Inc.
www.mountaineducation.org
ned at mountaineducation.org

Mission:
"To minimize wilderness accidents, injury, and illness in order to maximize
wilderness enjoyment, safety, and personal growth, all through experiential
education and risk awareness training."